Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Marketing: You might find this interesting?

HI everyone-

I found this in the far reaches of my hard drive yesterday. I wrote these back in the days before "constant contact" and email. Yes, there was a time when we just sent mass mailings out to potential prospects in a mailed letter format via US Mail.

Below you find what we used to call "letter openers". In other words, these are the one-liners we would place at the top of the letter or on the actual envelope to create interest. I thought I'd post them to my "modern" blog because they may spark some creative ideas for use in your constant contact marketing emails.

With a little imagination you will be able to figure out what the rest of the marketing letter copy would be based on the energy of the opening lines below.


1. Does your present caterer have liability insurance?

2. Is your caterer approved by the city to operate legally?

3. If you, like me, are one of those particular people who don't like to compromise on the quality of what they offer to their friends, then you will approve of what I'm about to offer you!

4. Here's how caterers decide how much to charge for their services.

5. What does your caterer do with leftover food at your party? Let me share with you what the law is on this important matter.

6. It happened recently at a company Christmas party. One of the company's key employees stated for all to hear... "If this were really a Christmas Party to thank us for our hard work, we wouldn't have been asked to put out the food and then cleanup!"

7. Suppose one member of a caterer's staff gets hurt while working at your place of business... are you liable?

8. If the list upon which I found your name is any indication, this is not the first time that you have received a business letter of this type.

9. Back in 1945 Chicago had only 26 licensed caterers. Today there are four hundred!

10. You're one of our best clients. We want you to know that soon only a few people will be able to get their catering from our company. We've decided to begin limiting the total number of events that we take to just three per day.

11. If your present caterer already offers you a 100% money back guarantee, then stop reading this letter right here.

12. Some people have the idea that catering is expensive... and they are absolutely right!

13. Some people have the idea that catering is expensive... but, I'd like you to know that this just isn't so!

14. You owe it to yourself to find out what a catered company picnic would do for your staff's overall morale and productivity!

15. Ask yourself: What will we do if you've waited too long to book a caterer for the holiday party!

16. I suppose that it might be a little bit bold of me to ask you for a favor when you are already one of our best clients. However, I do need your help...

17. If my letter has reached the right hands, then finding the better caterers is one of the things on your mind.

18. If my letter has reached the right hands, then finding new and different locations to hold your events is one of your responsibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment