Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Handling The "You're Too Expensive" Objection



The biggest hurdle for many customers, especially those who have never worked with a caterer before, is price. They’re worried they can’t pay what you’re asking, or that they will pay more than they should.

Here are some answers when the customer says something like “You’re so expensive”:

“Several clients this week have made the same comment. Let me take a moment and share with you what I told them about being higher priced.”

“Yes, but I thought that is exactly why you are here today: You know that we do the best job.”

"What would you like to pay for this event?"

“Yes, we are one of the more expensive catering companies in town, but we also have the most clients—so we really must be doing something right.”

“Yes, Ms. Weaver, we are expensive, but we stand behind everything we do. You won’t have any complaints, mishaps or failures.”

“We are very professional, Ms. Weaver, and we really don’t expect to sell everyone. We need to charge prices that permit us to maintain the professional staff and high standards of the ABC Catering company.”

REMEMBER: When a prospect suggests that your company is expensive, it is important to never apologize for your perceived higher prices and just explain what your prices guarantee for them.

NOTE: If you feel these are too strong, cocky or whatever please know that the problem probably rests with you not the scripts. Call me if you wish to understand what I'm referring to. (773) 549-7210 is my Chicago home/office desk phone.

2 comments:

  1. When a prospective client compared my price with my competitor's lower price, I explained that I don't compete with anyone else on price because I can't speak of the quality of product they purchase or whether they pay their staff living wages. I can only speak of the high quality service my company provides.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The replies don't seem cocky. Its good advice and really depends on the circumstance. However, the "Note" seems a bit cocky. How ironic!

    ReplyDelete