Wednesday, October 31, 2012

An Important Part Of Qualifying The Prospect

Just because the customer is sitting in front of you, doesn’t mean he or she will be in charge of making decisions about this event. It’s important to understand what the customer’s expectations are, and how different parties involved with the event (family of the bride, the customer’s manager, etc.) will interact.

Questions like these can help:

1. “Who, besides you, is going to be involved in the decision of which caterer you use?”

2. “Who should I send a copy of the menus and other information to?” 
     (This tips you off to who else is important in the decision)

3. “What is your expectation on the time for me to get my information back to you?”
      (If you hear the words, “There’s no rush,” be very suspicious that this might be a waste of time.)

4. “Ideally, when would you be ready to make a decision about which caterer you will use?”

5. “What are your expectations for this event?”

6. “What is your experience in dealing with your boss? What menu is likely to appeal to her?”

The point I'm trying to make is that the salesperson needs to take charge and determine what is what with the real reason the shopper is asking for information. A salesperson just can't waste their valuable time by trying to sell someone that is not a valid buyer.

1 comment:

  1. In the initial call I have learned to ask if there is a budget for this event. I often get, "Oh,I have no idea what this type of event costs!" So, I send a proposal with several different price options and still get a "I can't afford this at this time." Really? Is my method missing something?

    ReplyDelete